The AWRN Vision
To create a community consisting of researchers from both within and outside the field of animal welfare science, and stakeholders with interests in animal welfare.
To encourage and support animal welfare research activities by providing opportunities to:
– Form collaborations
– Share and disseminate information
– Support and mentor early career researchers
– Identify research gaps, openings and new funding opportunities
– Maintain and expand funding of animal welfare research to secure the future of excellent evidence-based UK animal welfare
– Work with researchers in unrelated areas to bring novel techniques to the field
– Promote the strength and success of animal welfare research as a discipline spanning from basic science to implementation
Who are we?
The Network Lead is Professor Mike Mendl from the University of Bristol and the Network Manager is Dr Poppy Statham also from University of Bristol. The Coordinating Group is made up of academics from Universities around the UK: Professor Alistair Lawrence (SRUC and University of Edinburgh), Dr Anna Trevarthen (University of Bristol), Dr Carole Fureix (University of Plymouth), Dr Gareth Pearce (University of Cambridge), Professor Jimmy Turnbull (University of Stirling) and Professor Richard Bennett (University of Reading).
The AWRN is co-funded by the UK Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) and the Universities Federation for Animal Welfare (UFAW).